Welcome to Year 5!
Please ensure your child brings in their book bags every day and books are changed and recorded weekly.
IXL- maths home learning
Times tables Rockstars – practice times tables
Home reading and Spelling (spelling test every Friday)
Languagenut – Spanish language
Summer Term 1
The first week back will have a whole school focus. The story we will be reading is ‘The Boy who cried Wolf’, and Aesope tale which has a strong meaning and moral. The children will then write / re-tell the story from the view of the boy (the main character in 1st person) adding in all the quality writing features they have learnt.
Narrative - Flashback thrillers
- Paragraphing for purpose and effect
- Opening, problem, build-up, climax, resolution
- Adding depth to the character description
- Varied pace of the narrative to build tension
- Develop atmosphere
- Dialogue used to develop characters and move the action on
- Develop different opening/ending for effect
- Descriptive language: similes, metaphors, personification
Number & Place Value
Addition & Subtraction
Multiplication & Division
Fractions, Decimals & Percentages
Geometry: Position & Direction
Geometry: Properties of Shapes
Measurement: Volume & Capacity
Measurement: Length & Mass
Four Operations in the context of measurement
Topic - Pulleys and gears
- Generate innovative ideas by carrying out research using surveys, interviews, questionnaires and web-based resources.
- Develop a simple design specification to guide their thinking.
- Develop and communicate ideas through discussion, annotated drawings, exploded drawings and drawings from different points of view.
- Produce detailed lists of tools, equipment and materials. Formulae step-by-step plans and, if appropriate, allocate tasks within a team.
- Select from and use a range of tools and equipment to make products that are accurately assembled and well finished. Work within the constraints of time, resources and cost.
- Compare the final product to the original specification.
- Test products with intended user and critically evaluate the quality of the design, manufacture, functionality and fitness for purpose.
- Consider the views of others to improve their work.
- Investigate famous manufacturing and engineering companies relevant to the project.
Technical Knowledge and Understanding:
- Understand that mechanical and electrical systems have an input, process and an output.
- Understand how gears and pulleys can be used to speed up. Slow down or change a direction of movement.
- Know and use relevant technical vocabulary to the project
- To explain that unsupported objects fall towards the Earth because of the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the falling object by identifying forces acting on objects.
- To identify the effects of air resistance, water resistance and friction by identifying forces acting on objects.
- To explain that unsupported objects fall towards the Earth because of the force of gravity acting between the Earth and the falling object by measuring the force of gravity pulling on objects.
- To recognise that some mechanisms, including levers, pulleys and gears, allow a smaller force to have a greater effect by exploring and designing a simple mechanism.
Suggested Enquiry Questions linked to Working Scientifically:
Observing changes over time:
What evidence of friction can you observe around the school?
Looking for naturally-occurring patterns and relationships:
Measure force of gravity on objects – investigate what happens when you drop objects into jelly
Identifying and classifying things:
Classify different paper aeroplanes by performance, speed, distance
Researching using secondary sources:
Watch video clips about water resistance
Comparative and fair testing:
Investigate different parachutes to land an egg e.g. size, shape, material
Do all objects fall at the same speed?
Jigsaw – Relationships
Our curriculum overviews gives you an idea of which topic your child will be studying at which point during the school year.
Upcoming Year 5 Events
05/06 Year 5 Spelling Bee
13/06 Daubeney's Got Talent - Year 5 and 6
20/06 09:00 - 10:00 Sports Day - Years 3, 4, 5 and 6
24/06 - 28/06 Year 5 Residential
04/07 15:45 - 16:45 KS2 Science Parent Workshop
09/07 Year 5 and 6 End of Year Picnic
12/07 Whole School Carnival
15/07 KS2 Team Trip