Bienvenidos a español! Welcome to Spanish!
Pupils at Daubeney learn Spanish and enjoy the benefits of starting to learn a foreign language at such an early age. We teach through songs, videos, games, interactive activities and lessons based on a practical communicative approach.
Our aim at Daubeney is to ensure that children develop a good basic understanding and a love of Spanish. We help them acquire the foundations for further foreign language learning at Key Stage 3 and a smoother transfer to Secondary School.
We endeavour to enable our pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language by working on the four basic language skills: speaking, listening, reading and writing. Excellent accent and intonation are reinforced in every lesson since we believe in a “Talk for writing approach”
Our stimulating curriculum and an eclectic approach to teaching enables us to use different techniques and resources to provide our children with a high-quality language education. Sessions are aimed at infusing children a love of Spanish and children like Spanish because they can enjoy playing with the language and become life-long lovers of Spanish whilst maintaining high educational expectations.
Learning a foreign language provides an opening to other cultures, fosters children´s curiosity and deepens their understanding of the world. All children regardless of their background and ability are encouraged to develop their full potential in Spanish. All pupils feel engaged and enjoy learning Spanish within the context of the culture of the Hispanic world.
Our curriculum overview gives you an idea of which topic your child will be studying at which point during the school year.
The main topics our KS1 pupils will be learning in Spanish throughout Spring Term will be the following:
- Reception: recap Autumn game, numbers 1-15, colours, farm animals’ song, fruits + I like, magic words (please & thank you), animals’ story
- Year 1: recap Autumn game, numbers 1-21, counting + classroom vocabulary (pencil, book, colouring pencil…), chocolate, I like + types of chocolate, magic words (please, thank you, you’re welcome, may I?, I’m sorry), colours + I like - what colours is it?, shapes + colours, farm animals
- Year 2: recap Autumn game, numbers 1-31, classroom vocabulary, talking about the age, maths in Spanish, days of the week – what’s the day today? months, talking about my birthday, colours + I like/don’t like, farm animals – descriptions: animals + adjectives.
This is a summary of what our KS2 pupils will be learning in Spanish this term:
- Year 3: recap quiz, numbers 1-99 & 10 – 100 in tens, classroom vocabulary + determiners + Spanish masculine/feminine patterns, maths in Spanish, talking about the age, days of the week – what’s the day?, the date, months, consonant phonics, my birthday, verbs present tense, connectors but & and.
- Year 4: recap quiz, transports + I like/don’t like + travel + because, how do you get to school?, descriptions + transports (it’s small, big, fast…), recap numbers 1-100 + maths, months + days of the week, the date, my birthday, classroom communication, greetings to say goodbye, the alphabet, colours + I like/don’t like, descriptions – body parts + colours + determiners + masculine/feminine, sports + I like/I don’t like.
- Year 5: recap quiz, what’s the weather like? - describing the weather, verbs it is, there is & we have + the weather, adverbs: muy, mucho, poco, connectives and, but, because, the seasons + the weather, I like/don’t like ladder + because, classroom communication + greetings to say goodbye, transports + how we travel, where do you go and how do you get there?, animals + likes/dislikes + because.
- Year 6: recap quiz, likes ladder (I love, I really like, I like…), what do you do? Talking about my hobbies (music, sports…) + likes/dislikes, Spanish verbs –ar, -er, -ir, present tense, food & drinks, I eat/I drink, I’m hungry/I’m thirsty, determiners, masculine/feminine patterns,
Spanish Phrase of the Fortnight
Spanish phrase of the fortnight: ¿Cómo vas al colegio? Yo voy al colegio andando y en bici, porque es rápido, es divertido y es sano. (How do you go to school? I go to school walking and by bike, because it is fast, fun and healthy)
These are our 2019-20 Spanish Champions!
Our Spanish Champions are pupils who LOVE Spanish and who always show their passion about learning the language.
They HELP other pupils and their teachers practising what we learn in Spanish class throughout the week in order to extend Spanish learning time.
They ENCOURAGE their classmates to use Spanish as much as possible in the school and at home.
Our champions always follow Daubeney’s GOLDEN EXPECTATIONS and are KIND to their teachers and to the other pupils in the school.
GRACIAS Spanish Champions! We feel so proud of you and your job is much appreciated.
Spanish Website, Languagenut
Our pupils will be able to enjoy again one of the most successful websites for children to learn languages. Languagenut.com is an award-winning language learning website with interactive and engaging activities and resources for children.
All children in KS2 have been provided with a personal username and a password to access Languagenut.com anytime and anywhere they want for FREE. All KS1 pupils can also get into Languagenut using the school’s general username and password.
Pupils are free to explore across 4 levels of difficulty, catered for all children’s abilities and curiosity. At each level, they will find a large number of topics and within them different sections with activities to develop the four key skills of language learning: listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Languagenut is the perfect language tool for your children. It is fun, absolutely gripping and includes numerous games and other activities to extend pupils’ learning time for Spanish. Please encourage your child(ren) to use it as much as they can and we are sure that it will help them to improve their Spanish and to develop a love of learning a foreign language.